Log in for prices and ordering
Santa Cruz. The Saint Georges Pinot Noir hails primarily from the very old Besson Vineyard, established in the early 1900s at the southern reach of the Santa Cruz Mountains. The site is marginally too low and on the wrong side of the road to be officially included in the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA. Instead, the wine is labelled in homage to George Besson, with whom Birichino has worked for over 20 years. The vineyard is managed organically to make the most of the rich granitic and sandy loams.
The 45-year-old Pinot Noir vines contribute 85% of the fruit for this wine, with the remaining 15% sourced from the Enz, Antle and Boer vineyards (the latter two in Chalone at high elevation on limestone and granite soils). It was fermented with around 30% of the stems added back and aged in old barriques and demi-muids.
We respectfully acknowledge the Wurundjeri People of the Kulin Nation, who are the Traditional Owners of the land on which we operate in Melbourne, and pay our respect to their Elders past, present and emerging. We also acknowledge and respect the Traditional Owners of lands across Australia, their Elders, Ancestors, cultures and heritage, and recognise the continuing sovereignties of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nations.
Warning: under the liquor control reform act 1998 it is an offence; to supply alcohol to a person under the age of 18 years (penalty exceeds $7000); for a person under the age of 18 years to purchase or receive liquor (penalty exceeds $500)